Purpose of the Board
According to its bylaws, the purpose of the Board of Regents is to do the following:
1. Establish, govern, manage, and control the State University and Community College System of Tennessee. The Board of Regents views itself as the responsible agency for purposes and proposals of the System subject only to legislatively mandated review.
2. Develop a system organization that will provide coordination of the system of institutions and area vocational-technical schools while at the same time preserving the unique qualities, integrity, and regional and community relationships of each of the institutions and schools.
3. Provide essential centralized services and uniform procedures which will increase the individual effectiveness and improve operations of each of the institutions and schools of the system.
4. Increase the ability of the institutions and schools and the System to compete and account for state appropriations, while providing more efficient utilization of state resources provided for their support.
5. Assure more effective lay and public direction and system policy guidance thus preserving citizens' control of postsecondary education in Tennessee.