John G. Morgan, Chancellor
John Morgan was born January 4, 1952, in Nashville, Tennessee. He is married to Donna Morgan; they have two sons, Brian and Kevin.
Morgan graduated from Austin Peay State University in 1974. He did graduate work at Louisiana State University 1974–1976.
He entered state government as a research assistant for the Legislative Fiscal Review Committee in 1976. From 1978 to 1980 he was a research assistant in the Department of Finance and Administration, and from 1980 to 1982 was an administrative assistant to the State Treasurer. In 1982 he began working in the Office of the Comptroller of the Treasury as assistant director of Bond Finance, and in 1983, as director of Bond Finance. In 1987 he also became assistant to the Comptroller, as well as Director of Bond Finance. In October of 1987 Morgan left state government and was vice president, director of Public Finance of Third National Bank in Nashville. In February of 1989 Morgan returned to state government as executive assistant to the Comptroller of the Treasury, and in January 1999 was first elected Comptroller of the Treasury by the Tennessee General Assembly. He was reelected to this position in 2001, 2003, 2005, and 2007. In January 2009, he was appointed to the position of Deputy to the Governor.
Morgan is a member of the Association of Government Accountants and the American Society of Public Administration.
He enjoys gardening, golf, and the proud owner of the world’s smartest golden retriever, McGregor!
- Attended, Louisiana State University, 1974-1976
- BA, Austin Peay State University, 1974
- Appointed, Chancellor of the Tennessee Board of Regents, 2010-present
- Appointed, Deputy of Tennessee Governor, 2008-2010
- Comptroller of the Treasury, State of Tennessee, 1999-2008
- Executive Assistant to Comptroller of the Treasury, 1989
- Vice President/Director of Public Finance, Third National Bank in Nashville, 1987-1989
- Assistant Comptroller, State of Tennessee, 1987
- Director, Bond Finance, 1987
- Vice President, Public Finance, Third National Bank, 1987
- Administrative Assistant, State Treasurer, 1980-1982
- Research Assistant, Department of Finance and Administration, 1978-1980